Friday, July 23, 2010

A Mini Mammie Vacation!

A couple of weeks ago I went with my grandmother, aunt and cousin to see family in Gibson N.C.  It had been a long time since I had visited and I was glad to get the chance to go back. I remember going there when I was a little girl.

As we were visiting, my cousins threw a SURPRISE birthday for my grandmother, Mammie, who will be 90 years old in August!  It was such a surprise to her and to us! They were so kind and such fun to be around. We hope to go back in the fall.

While we were there we were given the tour of  the houses that my grandmother grew up in. The one below was the first house that she lived in.  It is still in the family and is being restored.  I wish I had taken pics of the inside. My cousins have really done a lot of work.  If we go back in the fall…I will take some more.

u

This next picture below is of the house she lived in….in what they call town. The house above is referred to “the house in the country”.  The house in town is the one I remember.

n

When we were upstairs being shown around, I noticed 3 old trunks! I just had to ask “ Would there happen to be any vintage clothes in there?” Well, the answer was no, but lets see whats in this closet in the hallway.  Lo and behold it was full of vintage clothing, hats, luggage pieces etc. I was in LOVE! These actually belonged to my great aunt, uncle and possibly grandmother! It was so fun looking through them and getting to share my love for the clothes with my family.

We all decided to play a little dress up with the hats! That was really fun! The lighting in the pictures aren't the best, but have fun looking anyway!

2From left to right is my cousin’s wife Leslie, my 2nd cousin Josie, and my 1st cousin Gibson.  Gibson was named after my grandmothers maiden name which is also the name of the town! Cool…uh!

5 This is my lovely aunt Martha! She is a very special lady in my life. I have always looked up to her and have held her in upmost respect.  She has taught school for like 40 years! She was my go to person when I needed advice with my children.

11 This is my second cousin Margie. She and her husband reside in the house in “town”.  The house with the clothes! It was fun meeting her again and what a sweet heart she is!

7 This is MOD Mammie! he…he.. Actually this is my grandmother who I call Mamme!  She is my friend and my grandmother…She has a very special place in my heart and in my house whenever we can get her there!! ♥

CIMG0118And this is my sweet mom, Anna and I! Although she didn’t go with us, I wanted you to meet her too! She is my confidant, my encourager and sounding board. 

We all hope to go together to go to Gibson in the fall… I can just imagine us ALL together! The stories we would hear of the past, and the stories we will have to tell, the laughs that I’m sure my dad and his cousin Josie will cause. Not to mention all the great country cooking we’ll be enjoying!

It will be great!

Until next time,

4 comments:

Antiques Galore Gal said...

Oh my goodness, love the homes, especially the white one! It looks so much like a house I walked by every day on the way to grade school.

Thanks for introducing your family, and BTW, the hats are awesome!

Deborah said...

Its my pleasure!Thank you AGG! Yes...I really like the white house too! Hopefully I'll get some more pics when we go back and post them here.

Anonymous said...

Happy smiles :-) You all look lovely

Deborah said...

@keshavnarla Thank you very much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails